Local information about the Parish or its municipalities can be found at the Chamber. The Chamber administers Economic Development. Any business starting up or expanding to the Parish would be well-served by joining the Chamber. The Chamber provides many services to its members and can keep a business informed on local activities. If there is a specific question about one or our municipalities' services, the local city hall should be contacted.
City of Plaquemine
The City of Plaquemine is nestled on pre-historic Bayou Plaquemine, a tributary of the mighty Mississippi River. The earliest map shows Plaquemine as a settlement in 1775. The Chitimacha Indians were living here when Pierre LeMoyne, Sieur de Iberville arrived in 1699 and claimed all of Louisiana for King Louis XIV of France. It took its name from the Indian word Plaquemine, which means persimmons. The city became the seat of parish government in 1835 and was incorporated in 1838.
Plaquemine became an important trading center as Bayou Plaquemine served as a natural waterway to the western interior of Louisiana. It served as a transportation route of agriculture, lumber, fishing, and oil and gas industries of the area during the early 19th century.
Today, a new day of progress and activities has begun in the revitalizing development of the city. Plaquemine’s downtown historic district consists of 120 residential and business buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Plaquemine Depot Market, featuring a market of arts and crafts, is located in the 1925 Union Pacific Railroad Depot downtown. Iberville Museum is housed in the former Iberville Parish Courthouse (c. 1848), which served as City Hall from 1906 to 1985. It is now open with a varied display of historic artifacts, near the Plaquemine Locks State Historic Site.
The once vacant former public high school built during the W.P.A. Program was renamed the City of Plaquemine Activity Center (COPAC). The Island Country Club overlooks tranquil Bayou Plaquemine and Bayou Jacob. And, in the works is the construction of Bayou Waterfront Park fronting historic Bayou Plaquemine, adjacent to Plaquemine Locks State Historic Site. It will feature lighted walkways, picnic areas, and floating fishing piers.
More information on Plaquemine can be obtained by calling 225-687-3116, or by visiting its website at: www.plaquemine.org.
City of St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel is the newest city of Iberville, having been incorporated in 1993. It includes a large portion of East Iberville, and boasts both residential communities and a strong industrial base. Since its incorporation, St. Gabriel has added many services for residents, including multi-million dollar sewer systems, improved lighting, parks, a new $4 million Community Centerthat includes a heated indoor swimming pool, large auditorium and other indoor and outdoor facilities, and a variety of community services.
The area was settled by Acadian exiles who arrived in 1767 to help complete Fort St. Gabriel on Bayou Manchac. The bayou, at that time, was the boundary between the Spanish and English territory. St. Gabriel’s beautiful St. Gabriel Church was built by the Acadian settlers between 1774 and 1776, and is the oldest surviving church structure in the entire Mississippi Valley.
St. Gabriel’s location adjacent to East Baton Rouge Parish provides easy access to LSU and many state government offices downtown via La. Hwy. 30. This has resulted in a thriving community, with new residential developments and new businesses and industry on the way. Progressive government has made St. Gabriel a city on the move. For more information, check out the website: www.cityofstgabriel.us.
Town of Maringouin
Maringouin is the largest community of North Iberville, and is located at the tip of the parish. Named after the mosquito, which is predominant in south Louisiana, it is closely aligned with nearby parishes.
Maringouin is the largest community of North Iberville, and is located at the tip of the parish. Named after the mosquito, which is predominant in south Louisiana, it is closely aligned with nearby parishes. Its rural setting amidst the huge live oaks, Bayou Grosse Tete and picture-perfect open green pastures make it a paradise for those seeking the quiet life.
Maringouin is believed to have been settled by Acadians in 1802. It was incorporated in 1907, and is primarily a rural farming community. The town had concrete roads by the early 1920s. Today, it provides water, sewer and natural gas service to its residents, has lighted streets, an 8-acre park, and an active fire department. Town Hall can be reached at 225-625-2630.
Village of Grosse Tete
Grosse Tete is perhaps the most familiar municipality of north Iberville because it is named after Bayou Grosse Tete – the bayou that winds through much of north Iberville. With an exit ramp off Interstate 10 veering right into Grosse Tete, it is also the first community to greet motorists in north Iberville. It will also be the home of the parish’s visitor center to be constructed just off the exit ramp on a lot featuring seven huge live oak trees.
The village was originally incorporated in 1906, but dissolved a few years later. It was re-incorporated in 1952, and includes a two-mile stretch of homes and businesses along Bayou Grosse Tete.
Legend has it that the bayou’s name, which means "big head” in French, was derived from a big-headed Choctaw Indian who lived and hunted in the area when it was first settled by Acadians. It is a beautiful community of majestic live oaks, green pastures with rustic fences, and the grace of the bayou.
While it is a small community, it has been progressive in providing services for its residents. It provides sewer and water services, sidewalks and street lighting, parks and a progressive fire department. Grosse Tete village hall can be reached by calling 225-648-2131.
Village of Rosedale
The Village of Rosedale was named for the abundance of wild Cherokee roses found by the English-speaking people who settled the area in 1815. The small, rural community is located at the intersection of La. Hwy. 76 and La. Hwy. 77 among beautiful rustic open fields, cropland and winding rural highways that follow meandering Bayou Grosse Tete. While the economy is largely agricultural today, Rosedale’s serene pastures and rural charm also invite tourists.
The area became a thriving center of commercial activity by the mid-1800s, with a post office established in 1857. The first mail to the area was carried by skiff up Bayou Grosse Tete three days a week as pioneers eagerly awaited correspondence from friends and loved ones. A railroad depot opened in 1859 and it now serves as the Council on Aging facility. Louisiana Central Railroad made three weekly runs through Rosedale, carrying people and goods that helped cement a strong economy.
Rosedale was incorporated in 1955. It has seen much change since its incorporation, including many modernizations. These include: a modern fire department, with an impressive fire station, equipment and active firefighters, a modern water system, playgrounds and parks with ball fields, tennis and basketball courts, and a lighted walking trail; hard-surfaced streets and street lighting, sidewalks in the main areas of the village, a library, a senior citizen center, a renovated village hall and maintenance building, complete with equipment, tractors and vehicles, and a fully equipped police department.
These progressive achievements resulted in the Village receiving the prestigious Community Achievement Award for outstanding community improvement in basic services from the Louisiana Municipal Association in 1997. Today, the Village of Rosedale is revered for its quiet, tranquil country life on the bayou. For more information, call Rosedale Village Hall at 225-648-2333.
Town of White Castle
White Castle, a largely agricultural community, is the second oldest town in Iberville. It takes its name from a large plantation home called "The White Castle,” built in the early 19th century. Today, it is most known as the home of Nottoway Plantation, the largest plantation home in the South. Nottoway draws thousands of tourists to its majestic home and grounds each year.
The town boasts extensive street lighting, a community center, outdoor recreational and sports facilities, sewer treatment facilities, its own water and gas system, and an extensive drainage system. White Castle town hall can be reached at 225-545-3012.